© All material on this site is copyright.Ear & Speak's clients benefit from our expert technical understanding of the causes of pronunciation problems and the best solutions to achieve effective English accent modification in real communication. We help clients rise to their goals. Will you work hard so you never need to repeat yourself again?
Your accent. Your goals.
In one-on-one classes, our focus is on helping you speak clearly in the local context. (An Australian accent is not our main focus... unless it’s your goal.) Our tailored training isn’t empty marketing — we are truly adapting to your performance and goals, every step of the way.
Each client has their own unique experience of speaking English or multiple languages, in different circumstances, and with different problems. We don’t waste your time. We don’t treat you like a child. We give you solutions to fix accent problems, and we make you practise them in real-life communication.
We know how languages are structured, and what happens when two (or more) languages come together. We know how language learning works, in children and adults, in classrooms and in real life. Dr Duncan Markham wrote his PhD thesis on accent learning and has been working with multilingual learners/speakers ever since. Dr Debbie Loakes is an active researcher in current Australian English pronunciation and accent. Watch our videos!
- We know why a speaker of English with a Vietnamese accent will sometimes pronounce B in three different ways.
- We anticipate that clients with a Malaysian Chinese accent will find the vowel in words like day and cake unusually difficult.
- We help Russian-accented speakers understand the importance of твёрдые согласные in their English accent.
- We know that Portuguese speakers will have different problems depending on origin: English R will be often be harder for cariocas than paulistanos.
- We know Hindi speakers need to be shown that थ is not like English TH (except in the Indian English accent).
We identify causes and solutions for simple and complex accent problems, and endeavour to teach you in whichever manner best suits your learning style and challenges. When we tailor your accent training, we’re not copy-pasting from Wikipedia or pulling out a page called “Chinese accent problems”. We focus on solving problems and making crucial changes. We don’t waste your time on English pronunciation basics that you’re already getting right. And, uniquely, we can also guide you in English conversation skills, vocabulary development, culturally appropriate language, and more.
- We know if 拼音 will be helpful for Mandarin speakers trying to fix their English pronunciation, depending on where they grew up.
- We know tricks to help speakers with a Spanish accent better interpret English spelling.
- We can explain problems in physical, muscular, linguistic, phonetic and everyday terms.
- We’ve developed special materials to enhance sound differences that people find hard to hear or pronounce.
- We use our own linguistically up-to-date and culturally relevant materials, developed and updated based on our clients’ needs.
- Our clients have exclusive access to special online resources that we have developed.